Translate

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Raps Impact : A Woman's Perspective


Raps Impact : A Woman’s Perspective
By Patricia Britt

The first time I recall hearing gangster rap was in the middle of the afternoon, when I was walking to the store thru the projects in the late 70’s. It must have been in the era after my first rap shock that I heard Houdini, one of my all time favorite legendary rap groups, PM Dawn hit the air waves some time after the initial wave of rap. When I heard the unknown profanity laced rap song at full volume with the “B!” and the “H” over, and over, and over again as I walked the path to the store, I almost jumped out of my skin! I walked faster, and dreaded returning home the same way,  through a maze of cruel words, but I made it home in one piece changed somewhat, because I suddenly had incredible fear I'd never experienced in "music" before. The sound just scared, and offended my sense of dignity, instilled by my grandmother being in the projects, but not of the spirit of a hard core few in the same place that were responsible for miscellaneous mischief. Rap has evolved over the years with Coolio, LL Cool J, Outkast, Common’s corner, and others.

Gangsta rap has been the vehicle to financially elevate a percentage of  blacks to do philanthropic work as a 50 /50 exchange in the world impacting positively, and negatively. Snoop Lion recently mentioned on Tavis Smiley’s show, “that those with respect might not have money, and those with money might not have respect,” to paraphrase. I’ve always benefited from anyone’s life story in interviews. I’ve been impressed by Snoop Doggs work with children in athletics over the years, but never cared for his music, beyond the background beats. How’s that for a disclaimer? Because of the tragedy in my life, I can relate to many rappers heart wrenching stories, but my feelings about their overall projects are mixed with love, and sadness, because I feel their products have adversely effected women, and me specifically at times, where so many young men feel it’s cool to cuss, and don’t give a darn who can hear it, whether they want to, or not.

However, I look at some rappers’ work, and say, wow. For instance one of the many videos Sean Combs produced with Carl Thomas, featuring Stacey Dash as the love interest, named Emotional. This sad break up song, was so visually emotional it was like a mini movie. I keep it in mind as an example of a quality concept, on how to make an emotional impact, if I were ever to enter the production field, because life will always be filled with joy, pain, sunshine, and rain. I see Sean Combs acting in his videos, and other venues as just the beginning of a character actor’s career. I know to have seen FELA on Broadway would have been a moving experience to treasure, because Patti Labelle was in it, with the production collaboration of Jayz, and Overbrook Entertainment; Will Smith & Jada Pinkett-Smith’s production company. After Earth was a cool picture, and Summertime is the best! Queen Latifah’s poetic movies are never a waste of time.

Gangsta rap songs loudness gave me a sense of uneasiness, and insulted me as a woman in the 70’s, and still does today. Emotionally It’s almost felt like a physical assault, by a creepy adversary effecting my dateability, or love equation,  if you can comprehend my philosophy of respect. Some see rappers, and rockers as the root of all evil, but I see them as works in progress, who can have a tremendous positive influence depending on the direction of their projects, and as examples that change is possible for anyone at any time,  if you “get out” of a rut, or move beyond extreme ego.  It’s easy to blame all of society’s ills on rappers, and rockers even though two trillion dollar’s of revenue, that might better serve America by reinvestment in the country, is collecting interest in off shore accounts.  All of us have fallen short of the glory of God, but today is the first day of the rest of your life, and hindsight is 20/20.

Copyright 2013 Zimation Arts & Letters Ink: Poetry Concepts ~ July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment